Hi everyone.

Introduce yourself or our group to the rest of the Gemix Studio community

Hi everyone.

Postby NostalgicAlgorithms » Tue May 29, 2012 5:34 am

I don't believe I formally introduced myself. My name is Robert and I'm a 26 year old student/freelance game designer.
I am hoping to earn some income by assisting others in creating art assets for their games. I can do pixel art, textures, 3d models, animation and generally emulate almost any style you’re looking for. My favorite thing to do in my free time is mess around with old school raycast engines that I collect as a hobby. (Source code, books, games, ect.) The picture below represents a small portion of my most recent work created in the last 6 years.

My main project right now revolves around an idea which originated as a board game. Making the jump to PC I changed quite a few things. The gameplay will be reminiscent of an old dos game titled: Ultrabots (Xenobots) but with a more modern RTS/FPS type feel. The alpha shot here is very pixelated, once I find a way to rework the engine the art will have a nice high res look.
Colony 7 - Mode 7 MMF2 Prototype
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_7
Is anyone here experienced with Multimedia Fusion 2 or Mode 7? I am not against switching over to Gemix studio if someone is willing to donate time to help me develop this. Willing to trade art for coding. (Paid work is also a possibility)
NostalgicAlgorithms

Re: Hi everyone.

Postby CicTec » Tue May 29, 2012 8:15 am

Hi NostalgicAlgorithms,

Welcome to the forum...

Very beautiful designs. :)

We hope that soon the engine yeti3D old style, so you can try it.

Regards.
CicTec

Postby Nightwolf » Tue May 29, 2012 10:12 am

Hi NostalgicAlgorithms.

I made a few games using mode 7. So please, you can check those examples, so we can discuss about Mode 7 and its uses :)

Unnamed: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=3706 -> This a survival horror FPS using mode 7. (Sorry, history is spanish only)
Showdown: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=2060 -> A Doom clone deathmatch
Narco Police: viewtopic.php?f=130&t=3709 -> Third View Action Game. Game is entirely English.

I really want to know more about your info about your proyects!!
Nightwolf

Postby g1tp111ricard8 » Tue May 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Hello and welcome back!!
g1tp111ricard8

Postby NostalgicAlgorithms » Tue May 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks for the positive reception guys. :)
I decided on a mode 7 style game after writing 3 different design documents for my prototype. In my absence I forgot about the many lovely Mode7 examples featured on this forum. My "aha" moment finally hit when I was playing this sega cd game called thunderstrike. The style of it was something I wanted to emulate for my own project. (the speed of mode 7 is initially what attracted me) After ultimately deciding against raycasting for a variety of reasons Mode7 is the only option for the type of game I am trying to create.

My proposed project takes place on a small planet roughly the size of our moon. The goal is to replicate true life dimensions since this game is a simulation of a alien invasion. The original Wing Commander games illustrated this concept well. If you skipped the jump points you could actually fly the distance between sectors. My game will have a random element so that the invading force never originates in the same location twice. The final mission involves destroying the hive if you survive long enough. Otherwise the game ends after you make a tactical retreat into the evac shuttles like in my board game.
NostalgicAlgorithms

Postby CicTec » Tue May 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Very interesting, if you decide to use Gemix for this project, I recommend you open a thread in the projects (WIP) with the name of the game etc ... and we hope to have a demo available soon.
CicTec

Postby NostalgicAlgorithms » Wed May 30, 2012 4:50 pm

It is something I will definitely look into. Performance is one concern I have about using MMF2. If I give the ground texture even a small height map the frames drop by 20-30 from 50. I corrected the issue but things should get more interesting once I add rotational sprites and get things moving around.
NostalgicAlgorithms

Postby CicTec » Wed May 30, 2012 6:30 pm

which resolution was chosen for the game?
CicTec

Postby NostalgicAlgorithms » Thu May 31, 2012 1:19 am

I had performance issues with the height map after I raised the resolution to 640x480. The main reason for doing this was to accommodate the HUD. Everything runs smoothly now but I miss the extra depth that the height map provided. In my opinion the ground looks better in the first screenshot up above. I could raise the resolution of the floor texture and add a bump map but I still need to figure out how to constrain textures to a set size regardless of their actual dimensions. (The final ground texture may exceed 2040x2048.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NostalgicAlgorithms

Postby CicTec » Thu May 31, 2012 9:43 am

Yes, the ground looks better in the first screenshot.
You might try the same example in Gemix to see if performance improves or not.
CicTec

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself